Our Story


The beginning of House of Java is believed to have been established in Toronto in 1917. It was 1930 before it was first in a Hamilton directory. Then it was the Java Coffee Store Ltd. By 1934 it had moved to 30 King St W. Helen Stewart bought the Java Nut and Coffee Shop in the early 1960's and Marjorie worked with her mother there. The building was expropriated for Jackson Square in 1968. People were at a lost as to where to buy their fresh coffee, roasted nuts and baking supplies.

Marjorie and Florence decided with their husbands Bob and Bill, to reopen in the back room of Florence's house on Railway Street. They renamed it to The House of Java. Next came a double stall at the Hamilton's Farmer Market, a rented warehouse for stock and roasting nuts and selling coffee and supplies to offices and factories. In 1972 the current location became available on James St South. At first it was only half a shop but it wasn't long before the glass partition came down and we took over the whole space. While most things have stayed the same, family run, great coffee and fresh roasted nuts, we now create personalized gift baskets. It's worth the drive to House of Java.

200 James S, Hamilton, ON L8P 3A9
© 2024 House of Java.
This site was hand crafted by FireScript.ca